Monday 10 March 2014

Getting it wrong

So I'll start at the end. The end of a long day.

I stood in the car park of the nursery and arrived at the same time as a lovely friend of mine. She is one of my nct friends as well as a nursery companion. Her eldest son and my daughter have known each other since birth which is lovely. She knew, she knew as soon as she looked at me and asked about work how emotional I was. I managed to fight the tears... Just. But talking to her made me feel so much better (don't you love people who can do this) but she also made me realise I had been totally unprepared for nursery. I had got work sorted, I got nursery sorted but I wasn't mentally ready for the challenge of re balancing work and home life but more specifically when they crash together like thunder.

Let me start from the beginning. My third week of work but little mans second day at nursery as my husband did the childcare for the first two weeks. I woke up from a really angry, frustrating dream. The type where no one is listening no matter how much you shout or swear. But it was one of those dreams where it really affects you and you can feel it flowing through you. Never the less once I was up and dressed it was time to start the day. My son had been moaning off and on during the evening, we had a few cuddles and couple of burps then just left him. We presumed it was because he'd had his first day and his routine hadn't been followed as requested. But once I was showered and dressed I went in to see my son. Yuk, there's something in the air, light on, yes there it was he was surrounded by sick. Well not surrounded, there wasn't much there but he needed a shower and cuddles (the shower was most definitely coming first). Once I did this I gave him his bottle and got him dressed. Seeing the sick I realised that there was kiwi in it and last time he had kiwi he was sick so I felt from instinct that it wasn't a bug but rather a reaction to this food. So into the car we get me the boy and the girl and I drop them at nursery. After deliberating I told nursery about the sick and to avoid kiwi in future.

But as I drove away from the nursery I was questioning whether I'd done the right thing. My children come first above all else but I'd just left my son who wasn't 100% in their care not mine and driven to work. I felt sick and emotional. I got to work feeling awful, am I doing the right thing? Is he ok? So I set up my computer then did what any self respecting mum of two would do.... I hid in the toilets and cried. I cried a lot, I took my time and then needed to keep reminding myself of "deep breaths" throughout the morning.

You see I'm not very good at changing plans. Never have and probably never will be. So when I'm planning to go to work that's where I'm going and a sick child changes that. Obviously I go with the change, the children come first. But then there are days like this that are grey areas and what do you do? I'd rather be looking after my son but I'm mentally prepared for work so I find it hard to change. So when I spoke to my friend she reminded my how when her son started nursery at the same time as my daughter she didn't get to have a full week at work for 3 months due to him having so many ill days. She said she was already
preparing for this with number 2 and there was the realisation. I had completely failed to do this. I thought of it a bit but hadn't really prepared myself for the bugs and the days off with a poorly child. This is bad planning really and good advice to any parent putting their children into day care to make sure they do prepare for it.


So there it is, getting it wrong second time round. After a good nights sleep I woke up brighter and mentally prepared myself to be prepared to change the days plans at a moments notice.

16 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Last week I had to call in sick to work because of baby for the first time. I was really nervous about doing it because my fear was that my colleagues would be inwardly rolling their eyes thinking "Jammy git, getting a day off work just because her daughter is ill". But luckily, unlike you, I had a bit of prior warning because Gwenn started to be sick the night before I was due to work, not the morning of (if that makes sense). If I had had to call work 2hrs before I was supposed to be there then, like you, I'd have struggled with the short-notice change of plan. I don't kind admitting that I had a short period of counselling for various reasons and one thing the counsellor tried to do was wean me off my diary - "It's an aide-memoire, not an almanac" - because I really really have a hard time coping if plans change. There's something about me that needs to know what's happening before it happens. But that's not really possible when you throw children into the mix!!!

    I really empathise with your post and I hope it helps you to know there are more out there like us!

    Love to you, mama

    xx

    #AllAboutYou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, glad it's not just me that isn't good at changing plans last minute! I'm ok at changing if I know I'm with the kids but when my two lives (work and home) collide it's so difficult!!xx

      Delete
  2. Oh bless you, sounds like a really tough day! Like you, I am a planner and changing plans at a moments notice, sends me into a bit of a spin sometimes! It's always tricky when children are involved too and especially when they are unwell and in someone elses care so I really feel for you! Like anything though you love and learn and I'm really glad you have such a good friend to support you and make you feel better! #allaboutyou xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! And at least I am lucky enough to have good friends around me... Wouldn't know what I'd do without them!! xx

      Delete
  3. #AllAboutYou. Oh I know how this feels and I still feel I get funny looks at work if I have to leave because my child is sick. It's tough but don't been yourself up about it. Thank god for friends hey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! Yes hard when colleagues aren't supportive, it's not like any of us choose to have ill children - or even want a day off to look after an ill child!!xx

      Delete
  4. Ahh poor you, it must be such a hard adjustment. I would do exactly what you did and cry in the toilets! Hope you are feeling better about things now.
    allaboutyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes feeling much better thank you. Just still taking a while to adjust with tiredness etc but no more crying in the toilets... for now!!

      Delete
  5. That sounds awful, poor you! I guess it will get easier with practice, although that's probably not much comfort!

    Well done for hiding the tears, though sometimes crying on a shoulder can help...
    #mmwbh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally right. It got easier with my daughter after a few months and it will do with both of them now, just need to be prepared for two children therefore double the chances of having an ill child!

      Delete
  6. ((hugs)) it is all trial and error isn't it because I don't think there is a right or wrong thing to do in these situations, it is what is right for you #MMWBH x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think you're right, it's difficult as it feels like your head and your heart are torn and it's a fight for which one is going to win!!

      Delete
  7. Argh don't you hate those grey areas of parenting!!! You poor thing, hope you are feeling better about everything now lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many grey areas.... And subsequently grey hairs!! I'm feeling much better thank you x

      Delete
  8. Gosh, tough days take it out of you don't they and yours sounded like it was a doozy! I do hope you're feeling better about everything! Thanks for linking up! #MadMidWeekBlogHop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the tough days are so exhausting and emotionally draining. Feeling much better now thanks x

      Delete