Monday 24 February 2014

20 things about returning to work

So I've done one whole week (well minus a day but who's counting?) back at work and here are 20 things about returning to work; some tips and some observations.  I'd love to hear any additions you have to my list!
  1. Wear deodorant - I've been wearing deodorant for at least 15 years but for some reason on my first day back I completely forgot to apply it so spent the whole day paranoid that I smelt. Not the best move for a first day
  2. Break in heels - so if like me you have been living in flats whilst looking after the children then I really suggest breaking in your heels. I was in pain by 9.30am and I was sat down most of the time! It really is worth getting used to heels before wearing them for a whole day!
  3. Don't drink too much coffee - like when I first started work when someone asks if you want a tea or coffee I said yes... Big mistake especially as I usually drink decaf still so there were a few shakes going on with too much caffeine in my system.
  4. Remember dresses ride up - so when I returned to work last time I was pregnant so this time I needed new work clothes. Lots of dresses looked nice in the changing room but I totally forgot about that annoying thing that dresses do... Ride up! Grr so annoying having to remember to keep pulling them down all the time.
  5. Cake is all around - it's always someone's birthday. No matter how much you're "trying to behave" forget it, temptation is all around and of course you're back at work so you "deserve it". This week, this is the week that I will behave... Unlikely....
  6. Some people will be more pleased to see you than you expect - I got a big hug from a woman that I didn't know that well and asked to see pictures of the kids. Great, more than happy to do this and always happy that people are pleased to see me but so surprised by who wanted to see them. I was a little shocked but it was a nice feeling. 
  7. You have to be creative from the start - "ooh you had one of each, not need for anymore or anymore maternity leave" err awkward actually we've always wanted 3, cue a little nod from me and not saying a lot.
  8. Everyone will assume you're sleep deprived and those parents who are will hate you if you're not - we've been lucky our kids sleep well and the only reason I was tired was because I woke early, not the children. But those parents at work who have been woken the previous night will stare at you with daggers. 
  9. Some conversations will come to an abrupt end - "so are you working full time?" "Yes I am" ... End of conversation as there isn't really a lot to add.
  10. You realise how big you must have been when you left - "wow... You looking amazing"  I obviously liked the compliment but they didn't need to sound quite so surprised.
  11. It helps to remember your job title and team - when I returned to work last time I returned to a different role and team. When I then got introduced to people and they asked what I was doing I kept forgetting. Not very professional, it would definitely help to remember what you do and who you do it for.
  12. You need to re learn how to sit in a chair - if like me you spend most of your time on the floor then you need to re learn how to sit in a chair. Especially one that swivels, I felt like the work experience kid who's never sat on a office chair before.
  13. The adult conversation that you've "been missing out on" isn't that stimulating - at lunch time the conversation took a turn to talking about pickle and big or small chunks. Not the intellectual conversation that people like to make out that you've been missing out on then. 
  14. There can be good banter - but you need to remember that some people will react as badly as your two year old. Oops! Must remember those sensitive types who can't handle a joke.
  15. You quickly end up talking "business speak" - please don't hate me but I did use the phrase "touch base" this week. I cringed and shrunk in my seat a little as soon as I said it. 
  16. Business is much like home - by this I mean you go back to find that budgets are being squeezed and the profit needs to improve. Much like home then. But at least my employer is still making a profit
  17. You may need to work on your concentration - Particularly in a meeting which spends a lot of time on semantics rather than actually "doing" anything and you might find yourself planning your food menu... Or thinking up blog post ideas.
  18. You have to talk to people you don't like - whilst on mat leave I got to spend a lot of time with people I like. Forget it when you get back to work, it doesn't matter whether you like them or not you have to be professional and get on with them
  19. But you may also remember how many good friends you have there - I made the most of the first week at work and managed to have lots of coffee catch ups with some lovely friends. This reminded me what nice people I am surrounded by at work which makes leaving the kids that bit easier. 
  20. But it'll never be as fun - I work for a good company but let's be honest it doesn't compare to spending time with your children, seeing friends, jumping in muddle puddles and generally being child like yourself! But it's worth trying to make the most of what ever situation you're in. 

42 comments:

  1. Great post, I shall be returning to work soon so need to keep these in mind :) #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab post hun. Returning to work can be such a big adjustment can't it! Thanks so much for linking this up with the #MMWBH x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for doing the linky! Yes just got to get used to this change once again. Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  3. Love this. I returned just before Christmas and agree with everything you say! Esp. About having to talk to people you don't like and forgetting your role. Great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is hard to remember to be nice to those you don't like when you normally wouldn't have to interact with them! Glad it's not just me who has forgotten their role! Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  4. Brilliant post which made me laugh! I understand the thing about sleep deprivation and jealousy as my two have always been good sleepers so it can be embarrassing when fellow parents expect you to be knackered due to the kids. Enjoy any post-work drinks - that's what I miss the most now I'm working from home!
    #AllAboutYou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) glad you've also got good sleepers! I'm just tired because I don't sleep!
      We don't really do post work drinks now, used to before we relocated, I do miss those days.
      Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  5. This a very useful post for anyone returning back to work, and funny too! I like that you can laugh at yourself, that always helps :) Hope that your kiddies got on ok without you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely got to laugh at myself especially when I'm so silly! The kids were ok my husband has had them for the last two weeks, full time nursery starts on Monday morning. My daughter will be ok as she's still been going but will be an adjustment for number two.
      Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  6. Haha this made me laugh, I'm back to work in the next week or so. I wonder what it'll be like! Hmm.. #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember deodorant! Good luck, hope it goes well... Let me know
      Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  7. I did not return to work the second time around, I am happily living the life of messy play and puddles at the moment. I found your post funny and will remenber the tips when I do finally go back to it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to be at home just doing the puddles, totally jealous! Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  8. nice tips, i guess if for some its returning for work for me it would be (even if not so soon) going to work and obviously i dont think about it now, but i know i will be dreading it) #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did dread it. Would love to not work but circumstances dictate sadly. But it's not too bad being there!
      Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  9. Great post - Although for me, being a teacher, it'll be trousers and flats all the way! And I don't get much in the way of adult conversation at work either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's very true! Although sometimes kids make so much more sense than adults! I should just for flats, I don't know why I do this to myself!
      Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  10. Great post :-) I agree with the heels point, I have to pace myself when wearing heels now as been in flats for so long! #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes my feet have definitely taken a battering over the last two weeks!
      Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  11. I'm afraid it was the jar of pickle that drew me to read this (I couldn't decide, depends what you're having it with). I gave up work after my first, and I do miss it. I hope you enjoy it after you get over your starting hurdles and remember your job title #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I hate pickle! Luckily I wasn't sat next to the pickle eater as the smell is vile! It's been ok thanks and at least I know there is way more to life than work! Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  12. great post!!! Although I wont be working for a while you are right about the lunch time chats, they really are not all that intellectual are they!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No, lunch time is generally for bitching or moaning in our place! Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  13. This is so true! I love this. I work in retail but I actually often find myself talking to colleagues as if im talking to my daughter, who is 7 so its not like ive only just gone back to work oopps! I do find that sometimes I don;t have much in common with some staff especially if they don't have children #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) ha! After I went back to work first time I remember saying "hi ya" across the office in a very child like tone, which everyone noticed, doh!
      True sometimes it is hard to find he common ground with some pre kids people especially when their life is in a very different stage.
      Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  14. I didn't go back to work, but can imagine it would be just like that! Great post #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't worked for 13 years and reading this has really made me miss it! What a great post :) #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'd rather not work but there are some good points!! Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  16. Great post, and completely agree about the lunchtime conversations. Sometimes our conversations are about how crap our conversations are! #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! That's really funny! Glad you liked it :) Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  17. Great post. Its amazing what you forget whilst your on mat leave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so much changes and yet also so much stays the same!! Glad you liked the post, thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  18. Totally agree with the cake one! I'm on a diet and pretty much every week since I started there has been cake at work! Thanks for linking up #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake and the chocolate are a nightmare!! My waistline is going up not down!! Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My blogging journey is me going back to work and my kids are 8 and 11!!! I love this post!! Really did make me chuckle!! #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with the return to work! Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  21. Great post and I so identified, especially with sitting in meetings knowing that as a mother you just want to be efficient and not spend hours debating and effectively passing the buck before someone either delegates or makes the decision! I've written many a useful shopping list or blog post draft in those meetings, or curtly hurried them along! Thanks so much for linking up to #AllAboutYou, and hope you can come back tomorrow. Hope it's all going really well!

    Mama-andmore.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes I have a space at the back of my notebook for shopping lists and strange things I hear in the office for future blog posts! Makes you look more productive than doodling!

      Delete