Friday 21 February 2014

Friday's Favourite Pic N Mix Pictures

Today's post is about a lovely little company called Pic N Mix Pictures and their story cards.

Whilst I do want to stay up to date in the IT world and continue learning (I have a LOT to learn as I'm not the best on computers) I have to admit that I haven't let my children play too much with computers.  We have an I Pad and I have let my daughter use it when we have stayed at people's houses and she's up early to watch Peppa Pig to keep her amused or watch Mr Tumbles if we're stuck in a traffic jam but that's all.  I have this internal debate with myself about not wanting them to be behind with IT compared to their peers versus getting out in the "real world" and playing with "real" things and read "real" books!  I'm sure this debate will rage on in my head over the next few decades but whilst they're not interested in computers I'm quite happy!!  So I do like to find products that are real rather than virtual and fuel little imaginations.

I go the opportunity to try Pic n Mix Story cards and was delighted when these beautiful cards turned up.  The idea is that you shuffle them up and turn over 4 cards and make up a random story with your child(ren).  My daughter at 2 years old seemed a bit young for this, I started a story but she soon said "no Mummy"... I'm sure her imagination will develop over the next year or so to enable us to use these story cards.

In the meantime I used them as flashcards something I know her nursery uses.  I turned them over and she told me what the pictures were, she knew most of them but has also now learnt "pirate ship" and "lighthouse".  Great!  She loved turning them over and telling me what the pictures were!  But this seemed to be short lived and I was just about to send the cards to my friend with a 3 year old for a review when I discovered that my husband had created a new game with them.  I'm actually really impressed with his creativity here.  I discovered he had been putting the pictures up in the hallway and then asking our daughter to go and get which ever one he called out so "lighthouse" for example.  Some of them would be up high (above the door) so required a bit more searching and others would be on the rail.  I love this creative game and it kept her occupied for ages!  So the cards have not only helped her develop more words but has also made us adults use our imaginations!!








Now these cards... As everyone knows I love a bargain! These story cards are £7 but even better for £9 you can get a personalised pack.  They also do an ABC book which is £7 or a personalised one for £10. I think these would make wonderful gifts for children and it's so nice to have a gift that doesn't require a screen and uses the little ones imaginations.  We have loved playing with these cards, they're beautiful pictures and the cards are a great quality.  I think we're going to get a lot of use out of these cards over the next few years and have a lot of fun whilst doing so.

Disclaimer.... I was sent these story cards to try for free but all views are my own.

4 comments:

  1. These look really great, my 3yo has started to play in a really imaginative way and I think he would love using them to make up stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good. Great designs and good quality card, definitely recommend!

      Delete
  2. Oh these are fabulous, great for imagination and creativity. Thanks for linking up with #TriedTested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me again! They are brilliant cards, I love them :) x

      Delete